Looking forward to betting on greyhound races? Then you’ve come to the right place – in today’s article, we’ll give the latest greyhound tips, provide you with some predictions, and so much more.
As these sleek, muscular canines sprint around the track, bettors from all corners of the globe come together on virtual platforms, vying for a chance to win big. In this fast-paced, high-stakes arena, every second counts, and your wits are put to the ultimate test – so you’ll need trustworthy sites to use for betting!
We believe that the best option for UK bettors is Luckland, a famous betting site with excellent odds and an exciting bet £15, get a £10 bonus.
Want to find out more? Let’s get started!
How to Bet on Greyhound Racing (UK): Things to Know
Before you place a wager on a greyhound race, there are several things you should know.
In this section, we will explain all the terms, bet types, and steps to take to make a qualifying bet and bet responsibly.
Types of Greyhound Racing Bets
If you’re familiar with horse racing betting, you’re mostly set when it comes to greyhound racing betting, too. Below are the best bets available to UK customers.
- Win Bet: This is the most straightforward bet in greyhound racing. You simply choose the dog you think will win the particular race, and if it does, you win your bet.
- Place Bet: With a place bet, you choose a dog to finish either first or second. If your chosen dog finishes in one of these positions, you win your bet.
- Show Bet: A show bet is similar to a place bet but covers the top three finishers. If your chosen dog finishes in the top three, you win your wager.
- Quinella: Also known as a “reverse forecast” or “dual forecast,” a quinella bet requires you to choose two dogs to finish first and second, in any order. If your chosen dogs finish in the top two positions, you’re the winner.
- Exacta: An exacta bet requires you to pick the first and second-place finishers in the correct order. This bet is more challenging than a quinella but usually offers higher payouts.
- Trifecta: A trifecta bet involves selecting the first, second, and third-place finishers in the correct order. This bet has higher odds and can potentially offer significant payouts.
- Superfecta: Similar to a trifecta, a superfecta bet requires you to predict the first, second, third, and fourth-place finishers in the correct order. This bet has even higher odds and can result in substantial winnings if successful.
Tips to Start Betting on Greyhound in the UK
Now that you’re familiar with the types of bets available let’s walk through the process of placing a bet at an online sportsbook. We’ll use Luckland as an example because we believe it’s the best option for UK greyhound bettors overall – the process should not be too different at other betting sites, either.
- Create a Greyhound Racing Betting Account
Follow this link to visit the Luckland betting site and create an account by providing your personal details and choosing a username and password.
- Deposit Funds
To place bets, you’ll need to deposit funds into your sportsbook account. Most sportsbooks offer various deposit options, including credit/debit cards, e-wallets, and bank transfers.
Choose the method that works best for you and follow the instructions to make a deposit. As part of the welcome bonus at Luckland, you can get a £10 free bet by making a £15 qualifying bet.
- Find the Greyhound Racing Section
Navigate to the greyhound racing section of the sportsbook, usually found under “Sports” or “Racing.” Here, you’ll see a list of upcoming races, along with the participating dogs, their odds, and other relevant information.
- Analyze the Race and Make Your Selections
Review the race information, including the dogs’ recent form, track conditions, and other factors that may influence the outcome. Based on your analysis, decide which type of bet you’d like to place and select the appropriate dogs.
- Place Your Bet
Once you’ve made your selections, enter your stake (the amount you wish to bet) and confirm your bet. The sportsbook will display your potential winnings based on the odds and your stake.
How Greyhound Racing Works in the UK
Before diving into betting on greyhound racing, it’s essential to understand how the sport itself works. This section will provide an overview of the greyhound racing process and some key terms to know.
- Preparation for the race: Greyhounds are trained from a young age to develop their speed, agility, and endurance. They usually begin racing when they are around 18 months old.
- Grading: Before participating in races, greyhounds are assigned a grade based on their past performance, age, and other factors. These grades help ensure that dogs of similar abilities compete against each other, making for more competitive and exciting races.
- Race Selection: Races are organised by tracks, and they typically feature between six and eight dogs. The dogs are randomly assigned a starting position, known as a “trap,” which is marked by a coloured jacket.
- The Start: Greyhound races usually start with the release of a mechanical lure, often shaped like a small animal or a flag, which travels along the inside rail of the track. The dogs are released from their traps and chase after the lure.
- The Race: Greyhound races are generally short, with most races ranging from 300 to 550 meters in length. During the race, the dogs can reach speeds of up to 70 kilometres per hour.
- Finishing and Results: The first dog to cross the finish line is declared the winner, followed by the second and third-place finishers. The official results are recorded, and any winning bets are paid out accordingly.
Key Terms to Know About UK Greyhound Racing
The general betting experience on greyhound races is not too different from betting on other sports – the similarities are even more evident if for horse racing and virtual horse racing betting. Still, there are some unique terms to know. Let’s have a look at them below.
- Trap: The starting position assigned to each greyhound in a race, indicated by a coloured jacket.
- Lure: The mechanical device that travels along the inside rail of the track, which the greyhounds chase during the race.
- Grade: A classification system that groups greyhounds based on their past performance, age, and other factors to ensure competitive races.
- Form: A greyhound’s past performance, including its recent race results, times, and other relevant factors. Analysing a dog’s form can help bettors make informed decisions when placing bets.
Advantages of Betting on Greyhound Races Online
Greyhound racing has carved its niche in the sports betting industry for multiple reasons. Here’s the lowdown of why you should dive into the world of dog racing and why do it online.
- Access to Comprehensive Greyhound Database: One of the key advantages of online greyhound betting is the availability of comprehensive databases dedicated to the sport.
These databases contain detailed information about each greyhound’s lineage, past performances, track records, and more. By accessing these resources, bettors can make informed decisions based on the dogs’ pedigree, racing history, and other factors that might impact their performance in a race.
- Customised Handicapping Tools: Many online betting platforms offer customised handicapping tools tailored specifically for greyhound racing. These tools enable bettors to analyse various factors, such as the dogs’ form, trap draw, running style, and track conditions, and assign ratings or rankings accordingly.
By using these specialised tools, bettors can develop their own betting strategies and identify potential value bets, increasing their chances of success.
- Greyhound Racing-Specific Betting Markets: While greyhound racing shares some common betting markets with other sports, there are also several unique wagering options specific to this sport.
For example, online betting platforms often offer markets like ‘trap challenge,’ where bettors can wager on which starting trap will have the most winners during a race meeting.
- Access to Expert Greyhound Racing Analysis and Tips: The online betting community is home to numerous greyhound racing experts who share their insights, analysis, and tips through blogs, podcasts, and social media platforms.
By following these experts, bettors can gain valuable knowledge about the sport, learn about specific greyhounds or trainers, and uncover potential betting opportunities that may not be apparent at first glance. This wealth of information can significantly enhance bettors’ understanding of the sport and improve their chances of making profitable wagers.
- Advanced Betting Features for Greyhound Racing: Some online betting platforms offer advanced betting features tailored specifically for Greyhound racing enthusiasts. For example, bettors can set up automated betting systems based on predefined criteria, such as odds, trap numbers, or a specific dog’s performance history.
These advanced features allow bettors to streamline their betting process, save time, and potentially identify value bets that may otherwise be overlooked.
Disadvantages of Betting on Greyhounds in the UK
Betting on greyhound races can be an exciting pastime for some, but it also comes with several disadvantages. Here are some of the key drawbacks to consider before engaging in greyhound betting:
- Animal Welfare Concerns: Greyhound racing has faced significant criticism due to concerns about the treatment of the dogs involved. Some greyhounds may suffer from neglect, poor living conditions, and injuries sustained during races.
- Lack of Information: Unlike horse racing, where there is abundant information available about each runner, greyhound racing often lacks comprehensive data on the dogs’ performance history and pedigree. This makes it more challenging for bettors to make informed decisions when placing bets.
- High Betting Turnover: Greyhound races typically have a high betting turnover, meaning that a large percentage of the money wagered is returned as winnings to successful bettors. This can make it difficult to achieve consistent profits, especially for novice bettors who may not have the necessary skills to analyse races effectively.
- Limited Availability: In some countries, greyhound racing is becoming less popular, leading to fewer tracks and races – this is especially true when compared to other betting markets like MLB playoff odds.
This can limit the opportunities for bettors to engage in the sport and may make it more challenging to develop a deep understanding of the intricacies involved in betting on greyhounds.
Greyhound Betting Tips & Strategy for UK Bettors
Dog racing betting might seem simple, but like many other betting options – it’s not! Below is our rundown of the best free greyhound racing tips and strategies every sports bettor should utilise.
- Study the Form: Analyze the past performances of each greyhound in the race to identify potential winners. Look for patterns such as recent improvements or declines in form, as well as their performance on specific tracks or in certain weather conditions.
- Understand the Track: Familiarize yourself with the track layout and surface. Some greyhounds perform better on certain types of tracks, so knowing the characteristics of each track can help you make more informed bets.
- Consider the Trap Draw: The starting position, or trap, can significantly impact a greyhound’s performance. Greyhounds that are drawn near the inside rail may have an advantage on tighter tracks, while those near the outside might fare better on larger tracks.
- Watch for Market Movements: Pay attention to odds changes before the race. Significant market movements may indicate that a particular greyhound has attracted the interest of experienced bettors or insiders, which could be a sign of good form or information not widely known.
Check out what else you can bet on in the UK:
Best Sites for Greyhound Betting
- Luckland: Best overall
- Grosvenor: Stellar reputation
- Mr Play: Excellent odds
- Kwiff: #1 pick for straight bets
- 888 Sport: Widest range of tracks
- Luckster: Top-notch live betting experience
- ZetBet: Best for newbies
- Bet Target: Quality user interface
1. Luckland – Best Greyhound Racing Betting Site Overall
New customers only. Max one £10 free bets. Qualifying bets must be placed at odds of 1/1 or greater. Paid as bonus token with min 4/5 odds req. Skrill, Neteller & PayPal are not eligible. Note that the full T&Cs apply.
- Highly competitive odds
- £10 bonus bet
- Top-notch mobile optimisation
Luckland offers highly competitive odds and extensive coverage of UK greyhound races. UK customers will enjoy a seamless betting experience on their mobile devices while exploring tracks like Monmore, Harlow, and Hove.
With 14 races per track and six runners in each race, you’ll never run out of opportunities to test your luck.
Joining Luckland as a new customer allows you to claim a £10 free bet after placing a 15-quid qualifying bet. And don’t forget; horse racing betting is also available for added fun! Choose from a wide range of banking options, including PayPal, for swift and secure transactions.
Luckland’s user-friendly platform ensures a top-notch betting experience, leaving you eager for the next race. So, gear up and get ready for an unforgettable greyhound racing adventure at Luckland!
2. Grosvenor – Most Reputable Dog Racing Betting Site
New Customers Only. Min Deposit and Max Bonus apply. Playable on selected games. Wagering requirements apply. Max wins £2,000. Note that the full T&Cs apply.
- Wide market variety
- Odds boost
- Smooth withdrawals
Grosvenor is a highly reputable platform among UK punters. With a fantastic selection of racetracks and plenty of markets to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect wager. Enjoy enhanced odds, fast payouts, and a 100% welcome odds boost when you join.
Grosvenor’s Greyhound Derby offers tantalising odds on top contenders, making every race a nail-biting experience. The user-friendly mobile app ensures a seamless betting experience, while the variety of banking options, including PayPal, guarantees smooth transactions.
Don’t miss out on Grosvenor’s exciting promotions and time-sensitive deals, designed to keep your greyhound racing betting experience fresh and exhilarating. Place your bets and feel the adrenaline rush at Grosvenor today!
3. Mr Play – Best Selection of UK Greyhound Racetracks
18+. Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £10 bonus, valid for 14 days; bets must be placed at odds of 1/1 or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible. Note that the full T&Cs apply.
- £10 free bet
- Quality live wagering options
- On-site betting tournaments
- Easy navigation
Mr Play is known for its top-notch live betting interface, UK-focused tourneys, and effortless usability.
New users can claim a £10 bonus bet and enjoy wagering on iconic venues like Newcastle, Swindon, Monmore, and Crayford. Straight bets are the primary option, perfect for both newcomers and experienced bettors. Odds are presented clearly, making it easy to assess potential returns.
The £10 free bet token is unlocked with a minimum £10 bet, and you are free to explore additional promotions like Cash Out, Playboost, and enhanced betting flexibility. With various banking options and a user-friendly mobile-optimized website, Mr Play offers an engaging betting experience for all greyhound racing enthusiasts.
4. Kwiff – Best Greyhound Betting Sportsbook for Straight Bets
Bet £10, get a £20 bonus for sports bettors. Min odds 1.5, min stake £10. Note that the full T&Cs apply.
- £20 surprise bet
- Double the odds bonus
- Boosted odds
Kwiff is a unique betting website that offers an exciting experience you won’t find anywhere else. The platform offers a £20 surprise bet for new players and enhanced odds promotions. The “Double the Odds” promo is perfect for greyhound racing enthusiasts, with no complicated activation process involved.
With 15+ sports to choose from, including UK and Australian leagues, you’ll never run out of thrilling betting options. Kwiff’s user-friendly interface and knowledgeable customer service team make it a top choice for bettors.
5. 888 Sport – Widest Variety of Greyhound Racing Tracks
Min deposit £10. A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10. Min odds 1/2 (1.50). Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days. Free Bet stakes are not included in returns. Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £500. Note that the full T&Cs apply.
- £30 in free bets
- Top-tier design
- Wide market variety
Dive into the thrilling world of greyhound racing betting at 888 Sport, a platform with an established global reputation and high-quality design.
New UK customers can enjoy wagering £10 to receive £30 in bonus bets and a £10 casino chip. With plenty of markets to choose from, 888 Sport offers competitive odds in fractional format, covering more bet types than most competitors.
Register now and place your first bet within 30 days to unlock the welcome bonus. Benefit from various banking options, including PayPal, Apple Pay, Trustly, and Paysafecard, for convenient transactions.
6. Luckster – Best Dog Racing Betting Site for Live Betting
Bet £10, get £10. This offer is for new customers only and is available once per household. Max. FreeBet amount: £10 Minimum Deposit and wagering on a sport to activate the Free Bet is: £10 Void/cancelled or cashed out bets do not count towards wagering to activate the free bet. Offer valid only to customers making a first deposit of £10 or more. Note that the full T&Cs apply.
- The high-quality live betting interface
- £10 bonus bet
- 100% mobile-friendly
- Also offers horse racing betting
Luckster gives British punters a chance to experience a high-quality live betting interface that brings excitement right to their fingertips. With a generous £10 bonus bet to kickstart your wagering journey, Luckster ensures an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
The platform is 100% mobile-friendly, allowing you to place bets on the go seamlessly. Don’t forget, Luckster also offers horse racing betting, providing ample opportunities to diversify your betting portfolio.
7. ZetBet – Top Pick for Beginner Bettors
18+. Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £10 bonus, valid for 14 days; bets must be placed at odds of 1/1 or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. Note that the full T&Cs apply.
- £10 free bet for £10 wager
- On-site bet builder
- Sports betting tourneys
- Online casino is also available
ZetBet is a very beginner-friendly greyhound racing betting site. It greets every new punter with a £10 free bet when you wager £10, so you can immerse yourself in the excitement without breaking the bank.
You are free to craft your perfect bet with ZetBet’s on-site bet builder, ensuring you have the best odds for your selections. Additionally, participate in sports betting tournaments for even more exhilarating action.
And when you need a break from the races, explore ZetBet’s online casino for a diverse gaming experience.
8. Bet Target – Best User Interface of All Greyhound Betting Websites
Create the bet you want. Combine two or more markets from one event and even pair them into a Combo bet. Available for over 8 sports. Note that the full T&Cs apply.
- Excellent design
- Swift load times
- Solid greyhound racing market variety
At Bet Target, placing a bet is both fast and easy, thanks to their excellent design and swift load times.
The site offers a solid variety of greyhound racing markets to choose from, ensuring you have ample opportunities to make your bets count. Don’t miss out on this exciting and fast-paced betting experience – head over to Bet Target and get started today!
Check out our similar articles:
Guide to Greyhound Betting Online
Is Greyhound Racing Predictable?
Absolutely not! Greyhound racing is full of surprises and uncertainties. One of the key factors is the individual temperament of each greyhound.
Every dog has its own unique personality, which can greatly impact their performance on race day. Some dogs might be more aggressive or energetic, while others could be more reserved or easily distracted.
Race conditions also play a major role in the unpredictability of greyhound racing. The weather, track surface, and even crowd noise can all affect a dog’s performance. Some greyhounds might excel in wet conditions, while others might struggle, making it even more difficult to anticipate the results.
What is the Best Trap in Greyhound Racing?
Many bettors and enthusiasts believe that Trap 1 (the inside trap) offers an advantage due to its proximity to the rail, which can result in a shorter overall distance for the dog to cover. It is also thought that greyhounds in Trap 1 may experience less interference from other dogs during the race, increasing their chances of success.
That being said, it’s essential to consider the specific race, track conditions, and the greyhounds’ past performances when determining the best trap for a particular event. Ultimately, there is no definitive answer as to which trap is the best, as it varies depending on various factors.
Are Greyhound Racing Betting Sites Safe?
Greyhound racing betting sites are safe if you choose a reputable and trustworthy platform like Luckland. It’s essential to do thorough research before placing bets on any site. Look for platforms that are licensed and regulated by the UK Gambling Commission. These organisations ensure that betting sites adhere to strict security measures and fair play practices.
Additionally, check for SSL encryption technology, which protects your personal and financial information from potential hackers.
How Do Greyhound Racing Betting Odds Work?
Greyhound racing betting odds are a representation of the probability of a particular outcome in a race. They are used by bookmakers to determine the potential payout for a winning bet. In greyhound racing, there are typically six dogs in a race, and odds are assigned to each dog based on factors such as past performance, track conditions, and the dog’s overall form.
Are You Ready to Place Your First Bet on Greyhound Races?
We hope you have enjoyed our rundown of the top free greyhound racing tips and current greyhound tracks you can bet on.
Again, Luckland is our top recommendation for greyhound racing enthusiasts but don’t miss our full summary of the leading dog racing betting platforms.
Always bet responsibly, stay safe, and have fun!
DISCLAIMER: The information on this site is for entertainment purposes only. You probably don’t need us to tell you that any form of gambling comes with risks and should not be undertaken as a solution to solve your financial troubles. It’s worth remembering the phrase…the house always wins!
If you suffer from a gambling problem or suspect somebody you know does, then we strongly suggest that you call the National Gambling Helpline at 0808-8020-133 to talk with an advisor for help and to make gambling safer for you or your loved ones. Remember all gambling sites and guides are 18+ only.
Casino sites listed on our site may not be available in your region. Check your local laws to ensure online gambling is available and legal where you live.
Visit these free gambling addiction resources:
Affiliate Disclosure: This is an affiliate post. We don’t offer casino games ourselves. Instead, we help you find a place to play. When you go to a casino via our site and play there, we receive compensation.