It’s one of the NFL’s most storied rivalries: the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Commanders. Through decades of competition (and one high-profile name change), these NFC East rivals have given us some of the best football games we can remember.
This game doesn’t have a ton of intrigue for the Commanders, who have already been eliminated from playoff contention. The Cowboys, on the other hand, still have faint hopes of a division title and a #1 seed in the playoffs at stake.
The Cowboys are 12-4 this season and 9-6-1 ATS, while the Commanders are 7-8-1, with an equal record ATS.
Let’s check out some of the best betting odds for the Cowboys vs Commanders game available right now.
- Cowboys -7 Spread: (-110)
- Commanders +7 Spread: (-110)
- Cowboys to Win: (-300)
- Commanders to Win: (+250)
- O/U 41: (-110)
Important: Online sportsbooks update the odds by the hour, so keep in mind that the odds featured on this page are subject to change.
While Washington may not have much to play for in this one, making the Cowboys’ path to the Super Bowl as difficult as possible is likely a reward in and of itself. Then again, if Dallas truly has dreams of a title in mind, they’ll need to win a game like this.
Will the Cowboys close out their rivals and set themselves up for a potential first-round bye, or will the Commanders play the role of spoiler? Read on to find out what our experts think.
Cowboys vs Commanders Game Info
- Teams: Dallas Cowboys (12-4) vs. Washington Commanders (7-8-1)
- Game Date: Sunday, January 8
- Time: 4:25 p.m. EST
- Location: FedEx Field, Landover, MD
- Channel: FOX
- Odds: Check here
Where to Bet on Cowboys vs Commanders (NFL Week 18)
You can bet on this game at any number of online sportsbooks, or even at your local brick-and-mortar establishment. We’d recommend spending your money at big, established online bookies like BetOnline or Bovada, though.
These sites have been around for years, building up a reputation for treating players fairly. That’s far from the only reason to bet with them, though:
- They’re convenient: you can get the most up-to-date lines anytime you want, simply by refreshing the page. That’s huge in a game like this, where the outcome of earlier games could have a massive effect on the lines in this one.
- They reward players: BetOnline is running a 50% up to $1,000 bonus, but that’s just one of the many rewards these sites offer new and existing players. They’re always looking for ways to get you into the action — and other sportsbooks simply can’t compete with that.
- They offer round-the-clock action: you can bet on Washington-Dallas the entire week leading up to the game, and then you can get live bets during the game. If that’s not enough, you can also find action on every other NFL game, as well as just about every other domestic and international sport you can think of.
Why Bet on the Cowboys vs Commanders Game Online?
Rivalry games give you a great opportunity to place a wager on some NFL action. These teams only play twice a year — and this is your last chance until the 2023 season to bet on them both.
Here are some other reasons why the Cowboys-Commanders game represents great value:
- Rivalry games have a lot of emotions at stake: fans of both teams are likely to bet with their hearts rather than their heads, which means the lines will likely offer value you won’t find in many other games this season.
- The line will likely move quite a bit before kickoff: the odds in this one will be affected by the outcome of other, earlier games — most notably the Giants-Eagles contest. If you’re on the ball, you might just find a fantastic price to pounce on.
- This game is an American tradition: Washington vs. Dallas is as American as apple pie. Thousands of other punters will be getting in on the action, so why not you?
More in NFL Week 18:
Dallas Cowboys and Washington Commanders History
Many experts — including ESPN and Sports Illustrated — have called this rivalry the best in NFL history. Both of these franchises are among the league’s most successful, with 8 combined Super Bowl victories between them.
These teams first played in 1960, when the Cowboys joined the NFL as an expansion team. The rivalry would heat up the following year, though, as that’s when the league put both franchises in the same division.
All told, they’ve played 125 times, with the Cowboys leading 76-47-2. Dallas is also riding a three-game win streak in the series.
The bad blood between these two teams started almost immediately, as Dallas tried (and failed) to steal Washington’s fight song. College-style pranks also abounded the first two seasons, mostly involving the Cowboys trying (and again failing) to release live chickens on the field during a Washington home game.
Both teams had runs of dominance over the next few decades, culminating in the two franchises winning three Super Bowls in a row in the early 1990s. After that, though, it’s been slim pickings for both teams, as neither club has so much as sniffed a Super Bowl appearance since.
Dallas has clawed back towards relevance, though, and they have the 6th-best odds of winning the Super Bowl, according to BetOnline.
That doesn’t guarantee they’ll come out on top in this game, of course, but you have to be more hopeful about the future — including the short-term future — if you’re a Cowboys fan right now.
This is an interesting game for both teams. Washington is already eliminated from playoff contention, but a loss won’t do much to improve their draft position, so don’t expect any tanking. However, they’re doing something that could have a dramatic impact on the game: giving rookie QB Sam Howell the start.
The Cowboys may or may not need a win here — and they’ll likely know before the game starts whether they have any hope of improving their playoff position. Regardless, their goal in this one should be the same: win, but without getting hurt in the process.
Washington Commanders Will Win Against the Cowboys If:
- Sam Howell Provides a Spark: No one is expecting incredible things out of the rookie QB from North Carolina, but it would be nice if he could provide at least some hope for the future.
The Commanders managed to string together a decent season despite mediocrity from the QB position, and it’s the uncertainty there that keeps this franchise from becoming a true contender in the NFC.
Is Howell the guy long-term? Probably not, but you never know — and if he sparks the offense to victory here, don’t be surprised if he’s the starter going into 2023. It’s not like it’s going to be some Herculean effort to beat out the likes of Carson Wentz and Taylor Heinicke.
- Their D-Line is Dominant: The Commanders have invested quite a bit of draft capital in their defensive line in recent years, and it’s paid off, as the unit is the strength of the team.
They should have a plum assignment on Sunday, as the Cowboys’ offensive line is riddled with injuries. Several starters will be missing, with others playing out of position in this one.
If the Commanders’ stars Chase Young, Jonathan Allen, and the rest of their linemates can dominate the Cowboys’ makeshift line, it could be a long day for Dak Prescott and the Dallas offense.
- The Cowboys Give Up: The Eagles can sew up the NFC East crown (and the #1 spot in the NFC) with a win over the Giants earlier on Sunday. New York, who gains nothing with a win over Philly, will be resting starters for the playoffs.
That means that the Cowboys could be looking at a meaningless game once this one starts. If that’s the case, they may well choose to rest key players like Prescott, Tony Pollard, and Micah Parsons.
If Washington is facing an unmotivated B-team in this one, they’ll likely roll to an easy victory.
Dallas Cowboys Will Win Against the Commanders If:
- They Have Something to Play For: Of course, the inverse of that last point is also true. If it turns out that the Cowboys could potentially earn the #1 seed (and a first-round bye) with a win here, they’ll likely give this one all they’ve got.
It’s hard to picture how a potentially-listless Commanders squad can overcome a motivated Cowboys team, so pay attention to the early game to have an idea of how to wager on this one.
- Howell Plays Like the Rest of Washington’s QBs: Former Eagles first-round pick Carson Wentz was supposed to be the long-term answer behind center for Washington, but he’s been nothing short of awful in his tenure leading the team.
Backup Taylor Heinecke has been something of a revelation, proving to be an effective makeshift starter — but it seems clear at this point that his destiny is to be one of the best backups in the league.
That leaves Howell, a largely unheralded rookie. Could he be the answer Washington has been seeking for over two decades now? Probably not — and that’s good news for anyone betting on Dallas.
- Their Stars Chase Stats: The Cowboys have several players with individual accomplishments at stake, and if they play hard in an attempt to achieve those goals, it could carry the team to victory.
Tony Pollard is only 12 yards shy of his first 1,000-yard season (but he’s also banged up). Zeke Elliott needs 134 yards to reach the same mark. CeeDee Lamb only needs 10 receptions to break Michael Irvin’s team record and 93 yards to break 1,400 on the season.
These stats may or may not mean anything to these players (and surely fans would argue they’re meaningless anyway, as they’ve been inflated by the 18-game season). But if the players want to hit those marks, it’s hard to see how Washington can stop them.
NFL Week 18 Cowboys vs Commanders Betting Guide
NFL Week 18 games are some of the hardest to predict, as you never know what kind of mindset teams will have going into each contest. This could be an old-fashioned slobberknocker that will fit right in with the rest of the series — or we could see two teams that couldn’t care less about the outcome of this one.
Still, here are some bets that we like in this one, courtesy of BetOnline:
Washington +7 (-110) @ BetOnline
The general rule is that if you don’t know what to do, take the points — and a full touchdown is a lot to lay if you’re a Cowboys fan here. While the Washington offense may sputter behind the rookie Howell, the Cowboys may be playing to stay healthy rather than win.
We don’t love the Commanders to win outright — but again, seven points is a lot here.
Under 41 (-110) @ BetOnline
Washington has hit the under in 10 of their games this season, and while Dallas is generally slightly more likely to hit the over, they may not be their usual selves on Sunday. Also, it’s hard to see Howell leading an explosive Washington offense in his first start.
Keep in mind as well that, in their last game, these two teams combined for 35 points — and that was when Washington was at full-strength and still had plenty to play for.
Washington (+250) @ BetOnline
We know that we said we don’t like Washington to win outright — but that’s in a vacuum. We’d recommend keeping a close eye on the Eagles-Giants game, and if it looks like Philly will win easily, then swoop in and put some money on the Commanders.
Of course, if it looks like Dallas has a shot to get the #1 seed, disregard this advice entirely.
Washington-Dallas is always one of the most bet-upon games in the NFL season, and we don’t expect this one to be any different.
BetOnline wants to drum up as much interest in this game as it can, which is why they’re currently running a special in which you can get a 50% deposit match up to $1,000 by using the code BOL1000.
All you have to do is enter the code during sign-up and deposit at least $55. Then, you’ll need to meet a 10x wagering requirement, but you’ll have 30 days to do it.
We doubt that you needed another excuse to bet on this game — but BetOnline just provided you with one anyway.
Guide to Betting On the Cowboys vs Commanders Game
What’s at Stake in the Cowboys-Commanders Game?
We don’t quite know what’s at stake in the Cowboys-Commanders game yet. There’s nothing on the line for Washington, whose season is over no matter what.
But the Cowboys could either have nothing to play for or a lot, depending on how other games go. They still theoretically have a shot to win the NFC East and earn the #1 overall seed.
Can Either Team Still Make the Playoffs If They Lose?
No, this game won’t affect either team’s playoff chances. The Commanders are out no matter what, and the Cowboys are in no matter what. All that’s at stake is Dallas’s #1 seed.
Who is Favored to Win This NFL Week 18 Game – Cowboys or Commanders?
The Cowboys are favored to win by 7 points. While they’ve clearly been the better team this season, that’s a lot of points for a team that may be uninspired in this one.
Where Will the Cowboys vs Commanders Game Be Played?
The game will be played at FedEx Field in Maryland. Don’t expect a rabid Commanders crowd, though, as they don’t have much riding on the outcome of the game.
What Happened the First Time Cowboys and Commanders Played This Season?
The first time these teams played, the Cowboys won 25-10 in Week 4. They were led by backup QB Cooper Rush, who was starting in place of the injured Dak Prescott.
Previously in NFL Week 17:
- Bears vs Lions betting odds
- Bengals vs Bills
- Steelers vs Ravens betting lines
- Packers vs Vikings odds
- Chiefs vs Broncos betting odds
- Saints vs Eagles predictions
Ready to Place Your Bets on the Cowboys vs Commanders Game?
Cowboys vs Commanders is one of the most storied rivalries in all sports, but this probably won’t be a particularly memorable matchup. Both teams’ stories have largely been written this season, and the final game won’t change much.
That doesn’t mean that it’s not a juicy contest for sports bettors, though. If you’re on top of things on Sunday, you could find some great lines depending on how the early games go at BetOnline.
Right now, we’d recommend taking Washington against the spread at -110 — but that advice will flip in a hurry if Dallas has a chance to earn a bye with a win here.
DISCLAIMER: Online gambling comes with risks. There’s no guarantee of financial gain, so you should only gamble with what you can afford to lose. All information on this site is for entertainment purposes only.
While gambling can be fun, it can also be addictive. If you or anyone you know suffer from a gambling addiction problem, we recommend that you call the National Gambling Helpline at 1-800-522-4700 to speak with an advisor. Please remember that our guides and all gambling sites are only for people who are 18+. Also, check with local laws to find out if online gambling is legal in your area.
For free online gambling addiction resources, visit these organizations: